Monday, August 12, 2013

In addition to the many ABC books that are out there, "the counting book" is also in great abundance.  Almost every story character and animal have there own counting book, so leave it to Mac Barnett, Kevin Cornell and Disney to come up with an interactive twist.  Count the Monkeys is funny, inventive,  and delightfully illustrated.  I read the whole book and then went back to the title page before I noticed Disney had something to do with it.   It really does have the Disney feel to it, almost like you just watched a mini animated short film.  The book is interactive in that every page has something for the reader to do, you are part of the story.   I read this book to a small group of girls at "Fancy Nancy" Camp at the Dance Studio where I work and they loved the book so much, they wanted me to  read it again.  It caught there attention immediately and one student loved it so much she said she needed to read it again on her own, took possession of the book and I did not see it again until the end of the "Fancy Nancy" day.  So...check this one out, I have a feeling you will have to buy it.


Another book I must tell you about... THIS IS NOT MY HAT BY Jon Klassen.  The tale begins...This hat is not mine.  I just stole it.  I stole it from a big fish.  Does he think he can get away with it, I'm not saying you have to  read this book.  I will say it is a great story about consequences to actions.  This make it an excellent learning tool for parents to use.  If you say to your child there are consequences to your actions, they have NO idea what the heck you are talking about.  It's one of those things you must see an example of to understand and this book will give you that. 

Another  reason to love  this book is it won the Caldecott Medal for Picture Book Artistry.

I bet you are wondering what the heck is a Caldecott Medal and why when I see that Medal on the cover of a book do I have great expectations about what is inside.  Well...look for my next post and I will answer that question for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment