Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hi, I am Kimberlin and I love books, specifically, I think we learn the most from children's books.  When my son was little (he is now 23) we would go to the library and check out lots of them, like 20 to 30 a trip.  We would bring them home, sit on the couch together and I would begin to read to him, one book after another.  Each one like a gift we bought  for ourselves.  He had his favorites as all children do and those books got read over and over again like a well worn velveteen rabbit. (one of my favorites by the way)  Though my child is all grown up I still keep up with what's new in children's books and hope to lead you to new and rewarding experiences with your child as you share the delight of a clever story.  Speaking of clever stories there is a new book out called, The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt.  There is no way to even walk past a book with that title and not pick it up eager to know what it is all about.  I was immediately intrigued and had to sit and down and read it right away.  The book begins...one day in class, Duncan went to take out his crayons and found a stack of letters with him name on them and yes, it's going to be exactly what you are thinking a VERY Clever story.  I was always a little possessive of my box of 64 crayons, it was a big deal to get the "big" box and I didn't want anyone using midnight blue, my favorite color...didn't want to use it up. You will love the illustrations by Oliver Jeffers who also illustrated This Moose Belongs To Me.  As you read this story if you ever colored with crayons as a child you will completely relate to this tale of delight and enjoy the ideal resolution.

Some books are just fun to read and getting them at the library is all that is needed, but there are those books that must be bought and owned forever.  My favorite gift  to a child and sometimes adults are children's books.  So, both the book store and the public library are essential in your quest for great knowledge and understanding of what everyone should know about life.

With that being said...The Day the Crayons Quit is a book to buy, own and love.  Two other notable recently published books are:

The Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman
Often we have a friend that is not as adventurous as we might be but a good friend all the same and sometimes we are asked to step out of our comfort zone.  Fish and Snail is a charming story about friends and the relationship between them.  Read and enjoy this story and at some point it may be relevant in your child's friendships and that would be a good time to read it again.

123 Versus ABC by Mike Boldt
Oh my goodness.. another ABC book but honestly this one is really good.  I really didn't think there could be but another angle to the age old story but Mr. Boldt did just that.  He puts 123 against ABC and that is all I am going to say, you have to read it for yourself.

I am a huge Harry Potter fan and there isn't much to say about that except JK Rowling is a genius.  It is however, good to know that the "Books on CD" versions of the books are great to listen to in the car and can be checked out from the library.  Jim Dale the actor reading the books is AMAZING, he does all the voices and honestly it can be as entertaining as the movies.  I have listened to the books several times on CD as I drive around Winter Garden;  It's crazy how I learn something new every time and now that I know the ending I see all the foreshadowing and clues so clearly.  So, something to keep in mind if you are a Potter fan.

Keep Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment