Sunday, November 29, 2015

Finding Winnie...

When my son was little he loved to watch Disney's Winnie the Pooh movies on VHS.  His favorite was "A Blustery Day".  He would sit there and laugh and laugh, his funny boned being tickled by Pooh's antics.  Winnie the Pooh is a beloved character I have always adored, although I must admit  I have never read A.A. Milne's, "Winnie the Pooh".  I guess because Disney always did a great job of giving us the visual on the "silly old bear".  

I recently discovered at the library the book , "Finding Winnie, The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear".  The book is by Lindsay Mattick who is the great-grand daughter of Harry Colebourn.  So, you are asking who is Harry Colebourn...he was a veterinarian who in 1914 was on his way to tend horses in World War I.  When he was at the train station he noticed a man with a baby bear cub.  The man was a trapper and obviously not going to raise and care for the baby bear.  Harry was drawn to the bear and could see there was something very special about her.  Harry bought the bear from the trapper for $20. ( a lot of money back then) I really want to tell you what happens next but I want you to read and enjoy this wonderful book curled up in a chair with your favorite little one.  In the end you will see without the actions of Dr. Harry Colebourn there would be no "Winnie the Pooh" for us to love.  And Love him, we do!

I'm sure you will then be inspired to read your copy of "Winnie the Pooh" or "The House at Pooh Corner" which I'm sure is sitting on your book shelf.  I know I am!



Side Note, A. A. Milne wrote several novels, books of poems and even non-fiction.  

Other Side note:  A first edition "Winnie the Pooh" can go for as much as $4,500.


Christopher Robin said to Pooh..."Promise me you'll always REMEMBER:  you're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think".


No comments:

Post a Comment